Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Monologues relegated to a classroom

I am very, very pleased with this. In fact, I'd say this is a real and tangible victory for those who oppose the Monologues. Story in the Observer. Note this line:

""The reason that this play is here on this campus is because it was chosen by the students ... To take that away from them and to say it can only be in an academic setting which cuts down on the audience … it takes away a voice of students," Phillips said, responding to Jenkins' decision that this year's "Monologues" production will be held in a classroom rather than on stage. "And that, for lack of a better phrase, isn't right."" (boldface mine)

There is a big difference between the Monologues on stage and the Monologues in a classroom. I don't believe that the official "V-Day" campaign can be involved if it's just a production in the class.

This is one of the best days of my time at Notre Dame. Seriously.

Here's the text of Jenkins' speech from yesterday. Good stuff - if you want to understand what academic freedom means from a Catholic perspective, this is essential reading.

7 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're pretty disgusting as a human being.

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confess, my sins are disgusting. One particular sin is that I have too much self-esteem. Oh - and that I can't bring myself to care what other people think of me. There could be worse sins, I guess. :)

 
At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But aren't all sins the same in the sight of God? Isn't having hate the same as murder? And lust the same as adultery? So how could there be "worse" sins? Haven't we all fallen short of the glory of God? I thought that was just the thing - that Christ came to redeem all, not just those whose sins aren't as bad as others.

 
At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to clarify that anonymous #2 is not the same as anonymous #1. I wouldn't call you a disgusting human being, even from the anonymity of the Internet.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not sure if I want to hijack this thread to talk about the difference between mortal and venial sins, but I'll say this: Christ did die for everyone, and took all the sins on his shoulders.

Also, anonymous #2, you contradict yourself in your own paragraph. You say "how can there be worse sins?", but then you say that Christ came to redeem all, not just those whose sins "aren't as bad as others." You admit that there are sins that may be worse.

Anyway...just because there are differing levels of sin, doesn't mean that we shouldn't work hard to become saints and grow in virtue.

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I referred to certain sins being worse than others, I meant that they are worse than others in the eyes of humans. Yes, we think murder is a worse sin than lying, which could be considered a worse sin than stealing food if you're hungry. But my point was that all sins are the same in the eyes of God. Don't you remember Jesus saying that someone with hate in his heart is as guilty as if he committed murder and someone who has lust in his heart is as guilty as if he had committed adultery? We might think that some of our sins are worse than others, but to God (as I've been taught...I don't actually claim to know the mind of God), all sins are equally bad.

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a difference between Catholic doctrine and Protestant doctrine. Scripture, I feel, I pretty clear that some sins are worse than others ("sins of the Holy Spirit"). Catholics make a distinction between "mortal" sins and "venial" sins, and since mortal sins endanger the state of your soul, I am pretty sure that Catholicism teaches that sins are not equal "in the eyes of God."

But yeah, this is a pretty big difference between the Protestant tradition and Catholic tradition concerning sin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home