Thursday, May 26, 2005

Wages

The other day I was speaking to one of the partners at my firm who was trying to convince me to dictate my work into a "dictophone." (It's a handy little device that allows you to speak your letters and other documents into existence. The legal assistants listen to the little tapes and type it out for you) I had insisted on typing out my documents myself, to save time. He told me that it was ok to record it and then let the paralegals type it. I told him that it technicallly didn't save any time. So then he said, "But their time isn't worth as much as yours." I was silent. I pondered a bit, and then said,

"So I really am being paid just to think, eh?"

And he replied, "Yup. Isn't that why you want to be a lawyer?"

Yes, indeed. Scary. I'm getting paid for my thoughts. They'd better be good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home