Monday, May 23, 2005

The Bus

I take the bus back and forth to work every day. I'm usually the only person in a suit. This evening a young man struck up a conversation with me - he wanted to know what I was reading. I handed him my copy of the latest First Things issue and he read half of the first article on the Terri Schiavo case. When I told him that the magazine was about religion in the public life, he said he was very interested. I ended up giving him a card so that he could subscribe to it. It was cool. He asked where I was from. When I told him that I was from Canada he was aghast and pulled out a bus ticket from his back pocket and showed it to me. Printed in bold letters were the words, "Detroit to Toronto." He smiled, said he was going to Toronto to find work and asked me if I knew any great jobs there. Regretfully, I said, I've been in the States for 6 years and have no idea.

The encounter lasted about 15 minutes. It was a good 15 minutes - like touching Christ's beauty for a brief moment in time. It's amazing what a random conversation can do to your day - it was like my guardian angel just decided to take human form for a second and show me an eternity of friendship in Christ. Maybe that's too dramatic. But it was cool. One small connection and a glimpse of God's glory. That's it.

1 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger Cheeky Lawyer said...

Becky,

Very cool post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home