Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Canadian Thanksgiving

Sorry about the silence lately, folks. I was in Canada for Thanksgiving. Yes, I know you will all ask - what is Canada thankful for?? Well, my answer to this typical and frequent question is, "Same thing as y'all!" We eat the same food and we celebrate the discovery of the New World, of which we are very much a part. Also, our celebration happens on Colombus Day, which is entirely more appropriate than when it takes place in the US. :)

So yes, I went home to the farm for Thanksgiving. First time since high school. It was a beautiful fall weekend, and I made sure to take the time to just walk around my family's rolling property, marvelling at how beautiful everything was. Isn't it amazing how much you take your home for granted as a kid? I just walked up and down the hills and looked out over the river at the other properties surrounding ours. The leaves were orange and red, warning of the impending winter. The silence and the cold wind reminded me that at the basis of the Canadian culture is a mentality of survival. We're a community because it takes a community to keep yourself alive in the harsh winters of the Canadian north. We're a simple people, because in a life where resources must be spent on survival, simplicity is necessary. Home was a good reminder of where I come from and what has shaped me from the beginning. It reminded me of life's simple joys.

1 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving is really supposed to be celebrated to give thanks for the autumn crop. The fourth Thursday in Nov. is a bit arbitrary, but I guess appropriate since it is also the end of the harvest in the US (I think?). In Canada, the harvest ends earlier, so you guys celebrate it earlier on Columbus Day. I remember hearing that somewhere, so I think that's the reason for the difference.

I don't think it's meant to celebrate the discovery of the New World, but since it's also Columbus Day for you guys - so why not?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home